Monday, September 28, 2009

Apple Picking

Tips: Dress your kids in earthy-appley colors. (Hi. My name is Robyn and I make up words. When necessary.) Think about the apples, and letting them be the pops of colors. So, the attention goes to your sweet kids' faces & the apples. Not the clothes. Think plain without patterns, or at most, simple and monochromatic color schemes. My son is in a yellow shirt (he wanted to match his favorite apples), and my daughter is in green with a yellow bow.
Play with the light. Also, one of my favorite things to do is to get under the tree with the kids, able to see the sky behind their faces and they come out from under the tree.
Make sure the fruit gets her close-up. And not to gross you out, but if you rub off the pesticides, the apples look a lot better in photos. See the shiny ones at the top? Yeah. And if you have the option, bump your color saturation up in your color menu for this shot. Sharpness, too, if you'd like. And zoom in an manually focus if you have that option. Which I did not do for this shot and wish I had taken the time to do. Another cute one? Have the kids sit on the sides and look up at you as you hold the camera high (on auto-focus). Now look, I'm giving away all my secrets. Trouble :) Have fun!
oh, and always pack some attitude. you know, for the woman who birthed you. (Tilt your camera here and there, and try to drop it to the level of the kids' faces. That way, the orchards look to the viewer of the photograph as they do to the kids: BIG. See how her arm is perpendicular to the ground and her shoulders are parallel to it? Btw, her brother made her that necklace. How sweet is that?!)

and this one...well, i just love it. my dad actually took this one. so, credit Dad & the Nikon D90 on that shot. Wish I hadn't been in the way. They're dissecting the process. Love it!

Now, go and enjoy some apple-picking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Ticklebugs Photography

Welcome! Ticklebugs Photography is an offshoot of RobynBeckleyViningStudios. It's named after a fun family tradition started by my dad: Ticklebugs. You know when you're lying on the floor and think you've laughed the hardest you can laugh and then you see a big hand of wiggling fingers coming at you and someone saying, "Here comes the TICKELBUGS!"? Well, I personally don't like being tickled anymore, but my kids love it and the tradition has continued. This is a way to say thanks to my Dad and Mom for believing in me and helping me get my photography business started, and to my husband for continuing the tradition of (believing in me and) laughs and giggles and love with our own kids. I should note that signing up for a photoshoot with me does not mean you'll be tickled. Well, maybe...But I like life when you've laughed as hard as you think you can laugh, and then you laugh some more.  And I like to try to capture that kind of fun.

Stay tuned for group shoot locations and times (mini-sessions that save you money!). Located in the Milwaukee area.